First Reconciliation and First Eucharist for Elementary Students (Grades 2-5)
Our program for Elementary students preparing for the sacraments of First Reconciliation (also called Confession or Penance) and First Eucharist (also called First Communion) use the St. Mary’s Press curriculum Go, Seek, Find, which utilizes the Catholic Children’s Bible. This new curriculum debuted in Billerica Catholic Religious Education in the fall of 2016 and was very highly regarded by parents and students alike. It provides good opportunities for parents and their children to interact through the bible and prepares the children to receive God’s grace in the sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist.
Preparation for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist is a two-year process that begins as a student enters their first year of Religious Education. Children whose first year of Religious Education is Grade 1 will receive their First Reconciliation and Eucharist in Grade 2, but children whose first year of Religious Education is Grade 2 will receive their sacraments in Grade 3 (and so forth). An initial year of religious education is essential to provide foundational faith formation before undertaking the additional preparation of preparation for these important sacraments.
- Separate materials, supplemental to the regular class materials, are used for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist preparation, administered at home by parents/guardians, with assistance from the Coordinator of Religious Education.
- Students preparing to receive sacraments, accompanied by a parent/guardian, are required to attend both a First Reconciliation workshop and a First Eucharist workshop. A mandatory information meeting will also be scheduled for the fall for the parents/guardians of those preparing to receive these sacraments.
- Mandatory rehearsals are required for all First Eucharist children, who will need to be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Separate and distinct preparation for these sacraments apart from their grade-level curriculum serves the following purposes:
- It allows grade-level class time to be used for the regular curriculum
- It allows for students not in Grade 2 to better integrate into the sacramental preparation process
- It allows for students in our Home Study program, or attending Catholic Schools, to prepare for sacraments in the parish
Robin Clayton is the First Sacraments Coordinator, in addition to her responsibilities as Coordinator for Grades 1-2.
Please contact Robin Clayton to sign up for the First Reconciliation Workshops, Reconciliation Sacramental Experience, First Eucharist Workshops, or your First Eucharist Mass. She can be reached at 978-667-3733 x444.