Billerica Catholic Religious Education
Home Study program (Grades 1-8)
Billerica Catholic Religious Education will provide materials, assessments, and support for families to catechize their children at home. Periodically, families will be expected to return materials to the Religious Education Office or to the St. Mary’s rectory/office (where the office of the Home Study Coordinator is located).
- Home Study materials are distributed in September and then periodically throughout the year, as needed.
- Home Study First Reconciliation and First Eucharist students and parents/guardians are expected to attend all scheduled meetings, rehearsals and workshops that pertain to the sacramental preparation process.
- Home Study is not an option for the Confirmation Program.
Students in Grades 1-8 are welcome to participate in our Home Study program. We use the following curriculum resources:
|Grades 1-4||Christ Our Life Series from Loyola Press|
|Grade 5||Finding God from Loyola Press|
|Grades 6-8||Pflaum Gospel Weeklies – Visions|
We believe that it is important to empower parents to be the primary educators of their children in the way of the faith. We realize that a number of families in the Catholic Community of Billerica would prefer to provide their children’s faith formation in their home rather than in a structured program at a church. Some reasons why families choose Home Study include the scheduling demands of the family, having multiple children who would need to attend Religious Education at different times, and the particular educational needs of their children.
Registration: Please write the word “HOME” in the First Choice column of the Registration Form.
Families who choose Home Study will receive materials that students complete at home with the assistance of their parents/guardians. Periodically, they will be expected to return an assessment to the Religious Education Office.
- Home Study materials will be distributed in September and then periodically throughout the year, as needed.
- Home Study students participating in the First Reconciliation and First Eucharist preparation are expected to attend all scheduled meetings, rehearsals and workshops, with their parents/guardians (except the parent meeting in the fall, which is for adults only).
- Home Study is not an option for the Confirmation Program, since Confirmation sacramental preparation is embedded into the catechetical curriculum of the high school formation program.
For more information or questions, please contact Karen Dubbs, the Home Study Coordinator. Karen’s office is located in the St. Mary Rectory Office at 796 Boston Road, Billerica (Pinehurst section of town).